Thursday, June 16, 2016

MIA Teacher

I just looked at the date on my last blog post...


I am so embarrassed to say that I have not posted since last August.  Obviously the school year got away from me!  I was given the opportunity to teach a 3rd/4th split classroom last year, and I was nervous.  I had all of my ideas and I was ready to go for the year, then the first two weeks of school happened.  The moment the students entered the classroom, I knew it was going to be a difficult year!  They were sitting on the carpet with their belongings and talking like it was lunch time!  I could not believe that they were so chatty!  Usually on the first day of school, students are quiet and unsure,  It felt like complete chaos!

Even though the year started out rough, we powered through and the school year ended on such a great note.  The students went from extremely chatty, to usually speaking at an appropriate time.  They also did not work well with others in the beginning, to ending the school year working with all types of classmates.  I am so proud of how the school year ended and I hope that they continue their success.

We were hoping to get to add another teacher to our grade level, but that is not going to happen, so I volunteered to teach the 4th/5th split next year!


The other teachers in my building could not believe it!  Why would I put myself through that again?!  Well, I get to loop with most of my students.  The other teachers and I got together and shuffled some students around, but overall my class list will stay consistent.  I am hoping that will make the beginning of the year an easier transition!

I have been spinning my wheels for the past 2 weeks (since the last day of school)!  I have so many ideas and things I want to implement this year!

  • Genius Hour
  • Book Clubs
  • More alternative seating
  • Updated math/reading workshop
  • Classroom makerspace
I think some of these will be easier than others, but I want to move towards a more student-centered classroom.  I have already begun alternative seating (pillows, Kore Wobble stools, and stability balls).  I currently have a DonorsChoose project for creating a classroom Makerspace.  Feel free to share and donate to my project.  I only need half funding thanks to a generous anonymous donor!  I also have already started rethinking math/reading workshop.  I purchased Ladybugs Teacher Files math rotation board and I am excited to implement a more student-centered choice board.  I also created a new one for reading, similar to her math rotation!

R- respond to reading
E- enjoy a book
A- at your seat
D- discuss the text

I think leaving this more open and broad will give more flexibility in planning and activities. I will also give me time to work with small groups.  I would like to create book clubs, which could be part of discuss the text.  

Lastly, I am very interested in Genius Hour.  I love the concept of it and giving students the freedom to explore and learn about what they are interested in learning.  If anyone has suggestions, please share with me!

CLASSROOM THEME

The past 2 years I have had themes, but they were more decorations than themes.  This year, I decided I want to step it up and create a theme that I am passionate about.  Well, if you look at my gifs on this post, you might have a BIG hint!

HARRY POTTER!!!!!

I was about ready to purchase some clip art to make decorations, then I saw this on Instagram from Teacher's Clubhouse.  Perfect!


I will also be purchasing some decorations and making some of my own decorations.  I am so excited to share my classroom reveal this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment