Thursday, July 2, 2015

Improve Your Classroom
#2getherwearebetter

Classroom Improvements

I just discovered this linky, #2getherwearebetter, hosted by Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd and Lucky Little Learners!  This month, the focus is on classroom improvements!



I can't believe that it is already July and I feel like I have so much to do before school starts in a little over a month!  EEK!  Last year was my first year back in the classroom, after being in the media center for 4 years.  Before that I was working at a university, so needless to say, things had changed A LOT in the world of classrooms!

I am constantly thinking of ways I can improve my classroom and lessons, so this seems like a great link-up!

Now, I will start by saying I am awful about taking pictures!  I really need to work on that.  That's a classroom improvement, right?!

Arrangement

I am great at arranging student desks into clusters, but I did not like the way the rest of my room was arranged.  I had my teacher desk in the corner, which faced toward the students, but I felt very far away from them.  Although, there were moments that I needed some peace and serenity!  In front of my desk was a large table.  It basically became a table for catch-all!  Not what I wanted! Over to the right of that, I had my small group table and a bookcase. I put the bookcase there to have shelves available for small group materials.  It basically became a mess of stuff!  I think you can see some of what I am talking about in these pictures...




I have been going back and forth about my teacher desk.  I have read about a lot of teachers that have rid themselves of their desks, but I can't decide.  First, I would have to check and see if there is a place that my school has to store the desk.  My other thought is, where would I put my laptop and printer?  Those are the most important items on my desk and I would need something to put them on in order to keep them safe.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would like for the big table to become...something. It may become a table for center work...that seems like the best use for it!

Bulletin Boards

I would like to make better use for my bulletin boards.

This bulletin board stayed like this all year!  BAD BAD BAD!  It started as a way to improve multiplication facts fluency and showcase their skills!  Then we received a grant for a math fact program, which is AWESOME, and this bulletin board fell by the wayside.  I would like to make this my Reading and Math rotations board, so that I can use the other bulletin boards for more important things.


This bulletin board changed throughout the year, but again, fell by the wayside at the end of the year.  The students used the anchor charts for review of concepts, but I would like to make it more interactive...see below for a great post about utilizing bulletin boards.


This bulletin board is kind of tucked away behind my desk, so it was not convenient for the students...that teacher desk is in the way...


This bulletin board held our classroom jobs and calendar all year...I am trying to come up with a way to change up this bulletin board as well!


Here is a great post about making bulletin boards interactive.  I love the ideas!

Any thoughts or suggestions on arrangement and bulletin boards would be wonderful!

Link up with Angie and Ashley and check out other link-ups for ideas or to give suggestions!


1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through the #2getherwearegetter linky! I am so glad that I'm not the only one who lets bulletin boards become somewhat forgotten. That's another thing I need to add to my to-do list! Great post!

    Bonnie
    The Cutesy Teacher

    ReplyDelete