Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Keys to a Successful School Year Blog Series: Key 1 Organization







I just came home from a wonderful lunch with some teacher friends!  It is the music teacher's birthday and we met up to celebrate and have lunch!  It is nice to see them and spend some time with them outside the school year!

I am working on trying to relax this summer...



However, I found out about a week and half ago that I will be teaching a 3rd/4th split next year! AHHHH!!  This will be my 2nd year in the classroom and I am being thrown a curve ball.  Last year I moved from the media center to the classroom, and now I will be prepping for 2 grades.  DEEP BREATHS!

So, what does this mean?  I am going to have to work even harder to maintain my sanity.  How am I going to do that?  I will be presenting a series of blog posts on how I plan to be successful this upcoming school year.  Key #1 to be successful: ORGANIZATION!



Organization

In order to keep my sanity, I am going to have to stay organized.  Now, I am pretty good at organization, and I expect it from my students, but I am going to have to work hard at it this year.  Last year I would have master copies of papers and I would either recycle them or throw in a pile behind my desk, because I did not have a place to store them.  No more!  Now it is time to organize with binders!

Organize My Lesson Materials

Yesterday, I went to Office Max (aka Office Depot) and they were having a sale on their binders! YAY!  I found them in really cute colors and printed these editable binder covers from Learning in Wonderland.  Here is what they look like on the outside!

There is nothing on the inside, yet.  I will be adding tab dividers to make it easy to locate the materials I need.  I am also going to be making more binder inserts for additional needs (small groups, teacher binder, etc.).  I will post more pictures later, when I have worked on them more!


Organize My Classroom

I work hard to maintain organization in my classroom.  This was when I first moved in to my classroom last year.  I have these 3 Sterilite containers and planned to use them to help keep my students organized.  I ended up leaving them at the front of my classroom and they collected dust.  


I am going with a black and bright colors theme this year, so I need to transform the boring white to this!  


I need to buy 2 more containers, so that I have 1 for each group.  I will have to upload pictures of those later, as well.  My current drawers are at school.  Not only do I need to make them cute, they need to be utilized, so I need to decide what will be placed in the drawers.  I want to have 1 drawer for math manipulatives, but I still need to decide what I want in the other drawers.  Any suggestions?

Student Organization

We all have students that have a natural ability to organize....and students that do NOT have that ability!  Therefore, it is important to teach students how to be organized!  One of the things that the other 4th grade teacher and I discussed is utilizing a binder system for the students to use, so that they can stay organized with all of their materials.  They will even have different folders for the subjects.  I created a binder cover to go with our school "mascot".  We are the All-Stars, so I went with the S.T.A.R. (Students That Are Responsible) theme.


Grab this freebie from my TPT store!

I will also be teaching them how to organize their desks, since those tend to be messy.  

How do you/your students stay organized during the school year?

No comments:

Post a Comment