Monday, January 20, 2014

Can it really be true?  It is already July 8th?  We have been out of school for a little over a month and I feel like I still have so much to accomplish!  Here is an update on what I have been working on this summer.

Young Hoosier Book Award

Each year, our state holds the YHBA contest for grades K-8.  Since I am at a school for grades K-5, I will be implementing with those grades.  I think that I will work with grades 1-5, since I do not think most of our Kindergarteners are ready for reading on their own.  Students must read or listen to 12 of the primary picture book nominees or 5 of the intermediate book nominees.  Since our school uses Accelerated Reader, I will have the students take a quiz over the books they read.  They must score a 70% or higher, in order to pass the quiz.  I am very excited to implement this program in our school, for the first time.  I will need to order more books for the media center, but I think the students will enjoy the program.  At the end of the year, the students get to vote on which book they want to win the YHBA.  The winner is announced in May.  Here are the current nominees.

Picture Book Nominees

All the Way to America: The Story of a Big Italian Family and a Little Shovel by Dan Yaccarino
Argus by Michelle Knudsen
Balloons over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy’s Parade by Melissa Sweet
Blackout by John Rocco
Cat Secrets by Jef Czekaj
E-mergency! by Tom Lichtenheld and Ezra Fields-Meyer
Emma Dilemma: Big Sister Poems by Kristine O’Connell George
Firehouse Light by Janet Nolan
Holler Loudly by Cynthia Leitich Smith
Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator by Mo Willems
The Little Red Pen by Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens Crummel
Me--Jane by Patrick McDonnell
Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters by Barack Obama
Perfect Square by Michael Hall
Pig Kahuna by Jennifer Sattler
Rosa’s Bus by Jo S. Kittinger
Same, Same but Different by Jenny Kostecki-Shaw
Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature by Joyce Sidman
Three Hens and a Peacock by Lester Laminack
Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku by Lee Wardlaw

Intermediate Nominees

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy
America Under Attack: September 11, 2001: the Day the Towers Fell by Don Brown
Balarama: A Royal Elephant by Betsy and Ted Lewin
The Case of the Diamond Dog Collar by Martha Freeman
Energy Island: How One Community Harnessed the Wind and Changed Their World by Allan Drummond
Fingertips of Duncan Dorfman by Meg Wolitzer
Good Curses Evil by Stephanie Sanders
Heart of a Samurai: Based on the True Story of Nakahama Manjiro by Margi Preus
Hound Dog True by Linda Urban
Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha, Lai
Irena Sendler and the Children of the Warsaw Ghetto by Susan Goldman Rubin
Mammoths and Mastodons: Titans of the Ice Age by Cheryl Bardoe
Mockingbird : Mok’ing-burd by Kathryn Erskine
Peaceful Pieces: Poems and Quilts about Peace by Anna Grossnickle Hines
Pie by Sarah Weeks
Sidekicks by Dan Santat
Smile by Raina Telgemeier
Star in the Forest by Laura Resau
The Shadows by Jacqueline West
The Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and the True Story of an American Feud by Suzanne Jurmain

One of the other great things about this program, is that every year they post resources on the website, that correlate to the books.  Click here to access these resources.

I am going to incorporate some of these books into my plans for the year, so I will be working on resources for my TPT store.  Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment